Thursday, May 31, 2018

Mystery Vase 3: Falling in Love with 3DF Zephyr

The Quest continues; but, this time in a surprising new direction with an entirely new product to me.

Last week we had the pleasure of hosting 6 selected cadets at our 3D ThinkLink Lab Immersion Class.  The cadets joined us from Youth Challenge academies from 3 states.  In the four days they were with us they explored a variety of 3D visualization techniques.  These included 360 degree video rotation and 3D scanning using 2 different scanners and 3 different scanning applications.

Here is a sample of just some of their accomplishments. Cappasity Platform

We will fully discuss their experiences in a later post; but, first I want to discuss something we did NOT have at that time.   And, that is a wonderful product called 3DF Zephyr.  The smaller of the two in this image is a 3D object created from the larger object using 3DF Zephyr and partially printed on a Z450 full-color printer..  Unfortunately, the printer is prone to errors in mid-print.


3DF Zephyr Capture and Partial Print

But, even a partial print has its uses.  Note how both the OUTSIDE and the INSIDE were faithfully captured by 3DF Zephyr!
3DF Capture - Partial Print from the inside view
 
As we have said, 3D Visualization exists in many different formats that delivers a 3D experience at different levels.  All are useful when trying to focus on developing observational skills.  But, the real power begins with the creation of a 3D object that is viewable in ever direction.  3D scanners can create these types of objects, as can design programs.  But, programs are hard to learn and scanners have their own set of challenges.  Both are well worth pursuing; but, what I am about to show you is a method that has a great deal of promise for an easier way to bring 3D objects to life.

My first experience with trying to turn 2D images into 3D objects was in 2011 with an Autodesk product called 123Catch.  While it showed promise, it produced less than spectacular results.  Autodesk discontinued the product and replaced it with ReCap 360.   Here is a blog article I posted in 2012 that demonstrated 123Catch using a toy firetruck.

123Catch 2D to 3D with Fire Truck

As you can see from the above demo, the concept was promising though the results were poor.

It's been a long time since I revisted 2D to 3D and things have REALLY changed!  I've created a short video that demonstrates my attempt to create a 3D object from a series of 2D photos of the Mystery Vase.   have to warn you that I am guilty of using the term "AMAZING!" in super abundance in this video; but, there are no better words to describe my whole experience using 3DF Zephyr.  And, especially so when the final mesh was revealed.


As is apparent, I am a real fan.  In the next few weeks, months and years I hope to present this marvelous tool in dozens of tutorial videos discussing how it can be used to teach observational skills in every classroom subject to demonstrate clearly that 3D goes well beyond STEM in education.


But, on a personal note, working with the vase in 3DF Zephyr had a profound affect on me.  The process of checking the masking on each image had a very pleasant by-product.  I think of myself as a person that instinctively loves to observe things in detail.  But, going through each image making sure that the aauto-masking features didn't miss anything, I began to develop a deeper appreciation for the person(s) that created and painted this small little artifact.  There is something innocent and charming about it that became more and more apparent as I wokrf through the images.  By the time I saw the final rendered object I was in awe of the 3DF Zepher team and my little vase.  Then, the ironly hit me.  Here I was... bringing a possibly ancient Italian artifact new life in the form of a vibrant new 3D object for anyone to see and print using the work of modern Italian artists that created one of the pleasant programs I have ever used.

That's pretty cool.





No comments:

Post a Comment