Wednesday, January 15, 2020

HP Z 3D Scanner: A Discontinued Trail Blazer

I came late to the party when it came to discovering the HP Z 3D Scanner.  In fact, it had probably been discontinued by the time I ordered one.

Normally, that could only be described as a bummer.

And, the fact that it was a bit picky about what it could actually scan might normally be viewed as a HUGE BUMMER.

But, I don't see it that way.

And, the reason I don't see it that way is because I appreciate what they tried to do and understand, at least at a basic level, why it was so difficult to achieve.

Here is the link to the HP pages for the HP Z 3D Scanner.

https://www8.hp.com/us/en/workstations/z-3d-camera.html

What HP tried to do was create an integrated multi-purpose camera system with a 3D scanning capability.  What made this capability special was that one held the object to be scanned and rotated it in all directions for the capture.  All traces of the hand holding the object would be removed in the final outcome.

When you think about it, this was a brilliant strategy for capturing smaller objects.  And, from an educational standpoint it was doubly brilliant.  For, not only did the person scanning have direct tactile contact with the object being scanned; but, was in direct control of the orientation of the object in a way that ensured full coverage like no other technique could accomplish.

Unfortunately, there were issues with tracking that defeated the goals of the project.

What a shame.  Because the goals were and ARE not only laudable; but, precisely the kind of thing that makes 3D scanning so useful for students needing different approaches to learning.  Every brain is different and the tactile nature of the HP Z's scanning strategy offered a potentially different route for brains benefiting from touch and feel.

I certainly hope HP's engineers do not give up on 3D scanning that includes the ability for the user to pick up, rotate and manipulate the object being studies and scanned.  Frankly, I would much rather move an object than move a scanner.  So, I am not at all bothered by the fact that my purchase, for now, is going nowhere.  It provided me with a glimpse of a new strategy that I can fully appreciate and I think the engineers behind it should be give a great deal of credit for the effort.

Sooner or later, I KNOW that what they envisioned will be possible.  And, I hope it is sooner, rather than later.

No comments:

Post a Comment